Thread: Chain on my 748
View Single Post
Old 07-Jul-2003, 10:49
Big Twin

Chains

Fitted a new Tsubaki HD Gold X ring chain to my 748bip, with standard gearing. Cost approx £65 from DSC member Mike Davies who runs Robsom Racing. Highly recommended...looks great and not to pricey. I think chains are down to personal choice. I've heard from some people who swear by DID...yet others who wouldn't touch them after hearing/experiencing failures etc. You pay yer money....

With the larger rear sprocket on you'll probably need 96 or 98 links I guess.

Its funny, but when I fitted my new one, it shortened the wheel base dramatically (probably because the old one had stretched so much!). I ended up adding a couple of extra links to enable me to push the eccentric hub right back...which made an unbelieveable difference to the handling.

What I'l trying to say is whichever chain you choose/fit...when its on and tightened to the correct tension, aim for the hub to be in the 4 oclock position (when viewed from the chain side), allowing for the maximum wheel base length , but also for some adjustment in the future. This may mean adding/removing links to get it spot on?

I'm sure others will be able to be more accurate with the No. of links required.

This has been covered on numerous occasions in the past, so try a search on this and the old board.