View Single Post
Old 13-Nov-2006, 09:48
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
UK prices.....are we screwed again?

I am tempted to buy the S version and get shot of my S4RS now. One thing that does worry me is the price. The official US and Canadian prices have now been revealed.

US$15K for the base model
US$20K for the 1098S
US$25K for the Tri Colore

(the Canadian prices are slightly higher than the American ones above)

If we are to assume we in the UK are going to be screwed again, then we can expect to pay around £11000 for the base model and about £14000 for the "S". How is it that with all the inherent extra costs in shipping the bikes to North America for sale, can they justify this huge price differential. I was led to believe that apart from the bikes performance and looks, one of the other objectives when introducing the 1098 project was to close the gap between Ducati and the in line four Japanese bikes in terms of both performance and price. Perhaps at the risk of exclusivity, one could argue (then I don't think Ducati will reduce the price THAT low), it would encourage a lot more people into the brand and sales is the number one issue for this bike, in order to make up for the 999's shortcomings on the balance sheet.

At these prices we are paying (assuming the "S" is pitched at a similar price to the outgoing 999S...£13950.00) US$26613.00. That is US$6600 dollars more than our American counterparts. Bear in mind that these US prices INCLUDE sales tax (which does vary) and the margin is even more!!

That equates to us paying a massive £3461.00 more than someone buying the same bike in the US. If as I know they do, Ducati have occasion to read this, perhaps they would like to justify what I suspect will be the "official" prices once they are announced within the next day or so. I don't mind paying the going rate for a product, but I do object to one sector of the market being afforded the same product at considerably lower costs.