Thread: The ST Range
View Single Post
Old 27-Nov-2005, 13:02
Ducati Corse

As an ex-ST3 owner myself I agree that it is a very good bike, however, I don't believe the 3 valve V twin is an ideal engine for the role of sports tourer. Sure it's got a very good spread of power and torque however it's very lumpy at low revs and not good to ride because of that in slow traffic. It also vibrates a fair bit more than the 4 valvers. It does offer great comfort and wind protection although the handling isn't inspiring and neither are the brakes.

Consequently when I was looking round for another sports tourer I decided that the pre-Vtec VFR800 was the one to go for and I believe that it offers the best package for this role in terms of power delivery, handling and build quality compared with anything on the market - including the Triumph ST.

V twins still offer great superbike thrills and if I didn't dislike the shape of the 999 so much I'd still have a Ducati. The Fireblade I've just bought is a simply stunning bike to ride - it makes going fast seem slow just like a 998, however 4000 mile services are only £90, the finish is superb and the ultimate performance just amazing with 150bhp at the rear wheel

Ducati is in a very difficult position. The next generation of engines have to be V4s and I don't think they have the time to wait and drip feed them in through the superbike line. I really really hope they make the right decisions so I can come back to Ducati ownership.