Thread: 1200 duke
View Single Post
Old 05-Apr-2006, 12:23
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by TORTUGA
... I think the MV was Ducatis replacement 916 but the designer took it with him so they had a hard job on to beat that.

Totally hit the nail on the head Tortuga.

I think it would be a disaster if the new Duke (whenever it comes out) looks like the MCN mock-up. To me it looks like one of those joke "photo-fits" where they put Jimmy Hill's chin, Ricky Tomlinson's nose, Marty Feldman's eyes and wotsisname Collini's forehead together.

Trying to merge a bit of 996 for the traditionalists and a bit of 999 together has resulted in a total mish-mash. Much as I love the 748-998 series, I think Ducati have to move on. There is always going to be a price premium against the Japanese opposition, and to attract a similar influx of buyers as the 916, the new model has to have the looks as well as competitive performance.

The 999 shape (particularly in track trim) has really grown on me, and I think a development of the aesthetics of that shape would be a way forward (there was a post on some Dutchman or German's "custom" 999 a few months ago, and that was absolutely gorgeous...maybe they should get him on the design team).