View Single Post
Old 05-Dec-2004, 15:20

Desmo Due - a wider view

This is a first post, but I have been watching with interest the Desmo Due thread. To keep it simple why not just have the 80 hp and a set weight limit, say 172 kg, and leave it at that.

Why? It's going to be tough to get a 600 (or 675) anywhere near 80 at the rear wheel. The factory TT2 didn't do it, and a near stock 600 (stock head, no porting) wont. Such an animal would clean up in MiniTwins if it existed. It can be done but surely is expensive. Even a 750SS will need encouragement. Stock 900SS come close. Same for Monsters.

With a weight limit instead of a capacity limit you can measure it at the circuit with a set of scales. Same with the rear wheel horse-power; there are portable dynamometers used in support of other controlled series. Most people these days get unhappy about capacity measurement at a circuit as it can expensive in head gaskets etc.

172 kg is the FIM Supersport limit for a twin, but equally could be another number. Most SS models appear to be 185 kg or thereabouts.

The rules are easy to apply. If you are below the weight you add ballast. If you are above 80 bhp you add ballast at the rate of 2.15 kg per bhp over 80.

Keep it 2 valve which then controls the frames.

If you are sceptical I can point out a VW car series in which New Beetles, Caddys, Boras, Mk 1,2 and 3 GTi compete happily. In theory this proposal pitches the series wider and cheaper. Virtually any two valve since the start of belt drives would be eligible and stand a chance. Apart from race or track day preparation some of the eligible bikes can be standard. Surely that is as cheap as it gets.

The slide rule racers will now be working out best options. It is very easy to apply the weight/hp rule to ultra light machines as well, so no factory TT2 replicas.

Or have I misjudged the intentions of your proposals.

David