View Single Post
Old 10-Apr-2005, 00:17
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I had a chat to Nelly today about RS service intervals and costs - blew me away! Don't get me wrong, I knew they were expensive but not that expensive! The 748RS isn't so bad but, call me naive, I thought the initial purchase price would be less as well.

Hey ho, no RS for me. And no job for Jools either

As an insight into my thinking ... I feel really guilty about what I've done to my 996. It was a mint bike when I got it and I commuted on it for about a year through winter etc without a lot of cleaning and protection and then crashed it at Rocky twice. Mechanically it would have to be one of the best examples of the breed getting around. After having Neil Spalding's and Nelly's hands in there it's perfection. Cosmetically, if I wanted to restore it to mint it would mean painting the frame, the engine and wheels. Then it would be mint again. I was thinking of doing this and then selling it for a track tool (Ducati only Paul) and something with a bit less go on the road.

The way I see it at the moment is that I'll have a racebike (currently the DD bike), a road bike and maybe a bike for my wife as well. Poor me, yes I know ...

I could keep the 996 and turn it into my track bike/race bike (the Derby Pheonix 750 IL4's and 1000cc twins), have something that I care nothing for on the road, I keep coming back to a motard for this - seems to make perfect sense. And Ange can have the ex-DD monster as her road bike.

My biggest problem with this is that I didn't really want to race in that class. Depending on how DD goes I was previously envisaging myself in either DD next year again - makes good financial sense, or running in minitwins. That would mean keeping the 996 on the road though and having an 800SS as the minitwin (if Mike Edwards doesn't let us bore the 620's).

So you can see the circle I'm going in. I think it makes sense to hang on to the 996 forever now, it's a great bike. But I don't have limitless amounts of cash and I can't have 4 bikes etc. Although if the kids only ate rice .... ahem, ...

Anyway, I'm rambling. I guess I just wanted to share my thoughts and see what you all think. Whaddya reckon?