View Single Post
Old 10-Dec-2012, 21:26
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
To explain, back in June whilst on a trip in France I had a major mechanical engine noise that at the time I thought was a broken cam follower (it was very top endy). I stopped, but was in the middle of nowhere, so we chose to limp the few miles to the nearest hotel. The bike still ran on both, but pinked if I tried to give it any throttle much above ~3k.
After stopping and then restarting the engine at the hotel, the noise was gone !
We rode the bike to the nearest dealer the following day (40km away), and they could find nothing. It generally rode ok, just hesitating occasionally. On getting back to the UK I took it to my supplying dealer for a check over and they again said there was nothing wrong, and said it could have been a bad plug ?!? so they changed them.
This despite me asking them to do a compression check (which I don't think they did, even though they changed the plugs).
Anyway, long story short, I took it to my local independent a week or so back to do a compression check as I was not satisfied all was well.
On cranking it over it was obvious one cylinder was spinning over easier than the other, and the bike is more vibey than it used to be, and I was not satisfied the noise I heard was caused by a bad plug, especially since it self-healed (never had a plug do that).

so the readings were 165psi front cylinder, 105psi rear cylinder :/

The supplying Dealer now has the bike, Ducati authorised the engine to be checked, its had its clearances checked / adjusted (Ducati told them to do these before a comp check - personally I would have done a comp check before as well), there are no broken followers, and now the dealer has done a compression check they have conceded something is wrong. The heads / barrels come off this week.

Last edited by John W : 10-Dec-2012 at 21:35.