View Single Post
Old 16-May-2016, 21:06

Since last we spoke… (I work away from home during the week so nothing gets done then other than surfing the net and trying to find parts....)

Having got the forks off yesterday I had a good look at the alloy corrosion. It looks a lot worse than it appears, which is bloody awful. Scraped off the worst and was down to bare alloy straight away so will give it a good clean off and thorough inspection over next weekend. If this is only surface and nothing appears to be dangerous then I will probably clean up and reuse the uppers.
Depending of course on how confident I am in them…… Even at Stein Dinse prices the rebuild would add up… UK dealer prices are eyewatering…

I have decided that the easiest option probably is to rebuild standard forks.
• Get new uppers (maybe…)
• New bushes and seals
• Get stanchions re- Hard chromed
• New oil
• Easiest
• Dependent on a lot of factors but cost anywhere between £200 -£400 (providing I don’t source parts from Ducati dealer then the upper limit is £1200- £1300)
• Minimal changes to fit (well none I can think of….)

So assuming I am going for standard Showa rebuild is there anything that is recommended I do while they are apart?
• Recommendations on where and what to get in the way of seals
• Bushes – where do you get these from?
• Any suggestions on Springing or re-valving that is beneficial and where to go for parts (this is only really likely to be on if the uppers do not need replacing)
• I guess I’m looking for the Best bang for buck mod that people would recommend short of replacing them with Ohlins…..

Many thanks