View Single Post
Old 03-Jun-2005, 15:04
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Ducati Reliability

In the last couple of years I have bought two new Ducatis i.e. Multistrada 1000DS and ST3.I have to say the problems I have had with both bikes mean that I would never buy a new Ducati again.
I am still waiting for my dealer to sort out the lumpy engine performance of the ST3 at low revs. I asked about this before I took delivery of the bike but was told that everything was OK, yet I could tell it was not running properly within a few minutes of setting off on my first ride.
The demo bike I rode tested before I put my order in had been modified and was up to standard.
This is on top of leaking coolant and flat battery. These last two problems have been sorted out now.
There are a couple of other minor faults which I won't go into but when you buy a new bike it's not on that you should have to put up with this.
The Multistrada had a leaking fuel tank, leaking oil pipes, grabby front brake mirrors that were flapping about all over the place.It was in the dealers for sorting at a time when I wanted to be out riding the thing.
In short I would advise against buying either of these two models.
Perhaps Ducatis are really "Kit bikes" and the trick is to buy a used one that has been sorted by a clever owner!