Thread: Termi can mods
View Single Post
Old 26-Feb-2005, 11:29
Big Twin

Termi's are marked Not For Road use, or Race Use Only, so although not road legal, they don't claim to comply to the BS construction standards so not a fraudulent act (unless you stick an false BS label on them)

Modifying / coring your standard cans is making a constructional change, and makes them non compliant to the BS Standard. No problem, unless you try to pass them off as standard / compliant then your into and act of fraud / perverting the course of justice or whatever they could choose to use against you. This has the potential for a far greater penalty than a £30 fine and rectification notice.

Tony H

I've not said that what you have done is in anyway a poor relation to Termi's, Arrows or any other aftermarket solution.

Bu&&ered was used as subjective term and, since you gave no detail on the mod other than the briefest of details until a later post, was used purely in relation to them being no longer standard or legal.

My point in the discussion is aimed purely at the fact that once you make a change such as this the BS / E mark becomes invalid and there is the POTENTIAL for a far greater penalty than if you were running Race Use Only cans.

So, maybe my original posting was not clear and maybe inappropriately worded, however it doesn't change my opinion on the potential legal risks.

Personally, I'd rather pay the few hundred quid the race cans cost me and risk a rectification notice. Than core (and lets use this term for all modifications / professional or DIY) my original cans and risk more.

A couple of other reasons I'd not core my standard cans

- MoT - Noise testing is now subjective, regardless of the markings
- Quiet trackdays - sub 98dB days. Standard cans please
- Resale - I'd be seeing this as a subject for heavy discounting - Also a potential buyer may ask the question "If he scrimped on this, what else has he scrimped on??" - I'd also be looking for sufficient discount to replace the standard cans.
- Race cans sell separately.
- Because my times valuable, and I'll make a lot of decisions of mod vs buy based on how long will the mod take at my personal hourly rate vs buying whatever it may be.