Thread: Desmo Due 2010
View Single Post
Old 04-Nov-2009, 08:50
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572
thats not a practical solution as we are i assume looking for a sponsorship deal from either or any manufacturer based on a sole use policy?????

Ultimately the priority must be to have the best, safest, most suitable, appropriate wear characteristics, etc tyre available for the type of use to which the series is going to be put them. It is ulitimately the only piece of contact between the rider and the tarmac (ok except when they fall off!). Any "sponsorship" deal is a secondary consideration, from the point of view that I am sure there are many suppliers of product (not restricting these comments to tyres) who will offer wonderfull deals to push their products, regardless of suitability - that should not be an overriding consideration.

In discussions with various tyre manaufacturers the fact that this is a 50/60bhp series and we run at both ends of the year (read cold) the warming up period is important for safety - the existing Diablo has proven consistantly to be more than up to the job. Again everyone that we have talked to over the years has advised that if we were running over the 90hp mark, we should be allowing wets - for safety- but we are not in that position.

Whilst price does have a bearing, I am sure we could go to Super Corsa, intermediates and wets to get a massive tyre bill for the year, one needs to be realistic. We wouldn't be racing on the cheapest fitment we could find and by the same token dont need to go to the opposite extreme.

The RC has answers to most of the information that it needs and the final bits are expected this week, so a decision is immenant.