View Single Post
Old 16-Sep-2009, 01:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
My understanding of the rules that have been in place for some time with regards ignition timing is that it should remain standard, obviously anyone using an FIM 59U ECU could alter it easily enough and if protested may well get away with it if the equipment isn't available for checking it,

But with the AL-9000 units which I assume alter the advance over standard as they are advetised as variable advance units for improved output at low or High RPM depending on which ones are used (DP part numbers 965017AAA /96501699C also 09098/09099/09117)

http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/ignition.htm

I would have thought anybody using them would be leaving themselves open to a £50 protest under rule 1.6.31 that as Chris points out uses the phrase.

Any alteration that allows the number of degrees of spark advance beyond the manufacturers standard specification is not allowed.

Also makes you wonder what else may have been done to an engine if these units need to be used

Out of the 2 class B bikes from Oxford I know for a fact that they are both run standard units one of which was good enough for 1m 50s laps at Cadwell

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook