View Single Post
Old 16-Nov-2011, 00:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The only lightweight tank I recall in Class A last year was Steve Hand's, I can't recall any race winners, or Lap record breakers in Class A having a lightweight tank so why is it such a issue that we don't allow Carbon or Fibreglass tanks, its not as though its a necessity. And yes Plastic tanks are a worry as far as the cheif technical officer is concerned but ACU and FIM rules allow them. I doubt it would be doing anybody any favours if they banned the use of plastic tanks which up until Triumph put one on a production bike a few years ago were also banned from UK registered bikes and were a MOT failure

A new alloy tank will cost around £450 to £500 from the established tank fabricators and can use the standard pump and should fit straight on,
Not sure what a non established tank fabricator would charge

A carbon 916 style tank will cost about £400 and then if its like my one which takes the 916 style pump it also requires a suitable tank cap, so your looking at £500 plus and then it needs to be made to fit and there is no way its going to fit over a standard Monster Airbox, for over £300 less you can fit a standard 916 tank and hammer the hell out of the underside of it, with that done its then a matter of making front and rear mountings for it and probably relocating the Battery and ECU

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook