View Single Post
Old 05-Oct-2005, 01:33
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Well it's kinda interesting how few people have answered this post!

usually there are loads of peeps offering up there 2 Bob's worth.

The facts are!

A tyre is working when it's wearing out! so when peeps rave on about getting 3000 miles out of a back tyre and stating how good they are, they are really saying that they dont really know if it's working or not!

All tyres have a optimum range/life

once the tyres have been overheated they are technicaly F**ked as it has changed the structure in the wea've !

road tyres are made in such a way that the testing done B4 they are released for public use means that most road riders will never ever get the tyres into the sweetspot range!
let alone overheat them!!!
so swopping between manufactures is usually a rider preferd decision!
as most peeps will never get on the road to the point of total loss of adhesion
ie when you here someone say my tyre let go in a corner! what they really mean is they f**ked up Entrance or apex or exit or their suspension was so badly set up the loss of traction was due to loss of bike traction!(rider input)

My mate has been out to set up suspension on many a track day and found on standard road bikes with standard tyre's the best way was to set the bike up, to the manufactures settings and then ajust tyre pressure's by doing two laps and then loosing them down when hot to the same standard tyre pressures Ie pressures rise between 4-8 psi when hot(remember) if you try this always put pressures back up when cold !!

anyway top and bottom of it is ! unless your racing on a well sorted track bike with wellsorted suspension and proper track tyres !
then stop kidding yourself and go and do some riding skill courses!

as you will probably never ever use the tyres (standard) to the best of your ability let alone the tyres!!

Oh and by the way my mate works for Dunlop and has worked there for years and has been the tyre fitter techy bloke for corsa, bayliss, edwards, etc etc !

not what you know but who