Thread: road to race?
View Single Post
Old 15-Apr-2005, 11:26
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
why hire one though Tony?

Not certain on the conditions of hire, but presumably its bin it pay for it or pay for insurance? So same situation as if i binned mine.

So I would end up paying to hire when i have a bike anyway?

Well there's a lot of assumptions here, a phone call to Louigi would clarify exactly what risk you would carry by doing this.

I took the view that it would only be for one round just to get a taste tester and see if you wanted to do it more seriously. In that case, Ray points out a lot of benefits in terms of prep to your bike etc. There's a not inconsiderable amount of work in prepping your bike and then returning it to road spec. A 996 from Louigi won't be too far remote from your 998 so ride position etc would be very similar. If you crash with your bike on the track then it's been crashed and all the associated drama's that come with that. At least with the hire bike if you crash I would assume (this is where clarification is required) that your liability would be limited to a certain extent depending on the arrangement and insurance.

Does that make sense?

Louigi does the full support mechanically for the day - in GP style you ride into the garage or wherever, hand him the bike and he takes care of the rest pretty much. I saw him do this with Weeksy at Donny. He had the tyre warmers etc, ran the spanner over everything and was very conscientous - all you have to do is sort your head out and remember which way you're going!

If you then decide that you dig this racing groove baby, then you can prep the Bostrom and go full swing! If you decide it's wack baby WACK! Then you walk away, richer for the experience