Thread: ST2 heads
View Single Post
Old 10-Sep-2003, 14:03
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Do you mean this guy?

American two valve tuning guy

Looks like he's getting nearly (but not quite) 100 bhp out of air cooled two valvers with porting work, zorsts and FIM chips etc. This should be even more achievable with the ST2 since the water cooling prevents the heat dissipation problems on the rear cylinder of tuned air cooled motors.

I had an interesting chat with Neil Spalding at Sigma about this when he showed up in the bar at Mallory the evening before our DSC trackday. He reckons that a 100 bhp ST2 is do-able and that the resultant engine gives you exactly the same engine characterisitics, except loads more of it, everywhere in the rev range. He says he prefers the power delivery characteristics of the ST2 engine to his own ST4. It seems he's also been looking at two-valvers recently because this Monster has just appeared on the Sigma website

I must admit there's the non-conformist streak in me that says "yeah, a 100+ Bhp ST2 as a sort of Q bike" but then I think that for the sort of money that we're undoubtedly talking about (when one of their 'two valve big Monty set-ups and services costs £695 PLUS parts without any tuning being done) I could just stop dicking about, get an ST4s and give myself 120 bhp, upmarket suspension and a carbon hugger without any fuss! Plus, of course, if you then wanted to go mental with tuning bits for a 996 lump there are a lot more bits available and more people doing it - ST4SPS anyone?

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Jools]