View Single Post
Old 28-Nov-2006, 12:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
The point of this thread is not whinging about losing 6bhp or so and some ft/lb of torque and weight issuses, that I, or probablly most of us,carn't use,thats' a separate thread for the alhpa-males to pontificate about.

The simple fact is, Ducati's own website has discrepencies that can be mis-construde by people to attain sales.Only exacebated by the media,who naturaly want sensational headlines.

The actual facts are not clear or at best,a little ambiguous.

It's actually Ducati being a victim of their own honesty IMO.

They always used to quote wet weight figures and rear wheel horsepower numbers and this lost them lots of sales to the IL4 brigade because their bikes were lighter and more powerful.

Ducati have finally decided to fall into line so as not to damage their sales as much, and quote the dry weight and crank HP. Even though it says HP - it can still be measured in different ways and the only way you will know is if it describes which one it does. There's a difference.

So no, I don't think Ducati are trying ti deceive anyone. They are simply trying to align their specs with the figures quoted by their rivals so as not to keep losing sales over it.

A move that I applaud. If Ducati sell more bikes and have a healthy business then we have a marquee that continues and everyone wins in the long run.