View Single Post
Old 23-Feb-2006, 18:46
Mille

Mood: don't do moody
JIminy - looks like JPM was supplied with the wrong stand? My 04 999r came supplied with a grey Ducati Performance stand to fit the bobbins already fitted, presumably due to the fact that the new bigger alloy swing arm was deemed an unsuitable shape for the alternative method of lifting the rear end - locating a cupped lift plate under each side of the swing arm. Previous/1st owner later replaced the Ducati alloy bobbins with a nice pair of R&G crash bobbins to the rear and although this required a slight widening of the paddock stand's lift width, still works very well.

In summary, with the new black 04 swingarm, would strongly recommend fitting bobbins if not already fitted as these will provide a more secure fix/lifting method. You will obviously need a bobbin equipped stand (ie hooks instead of lift plates). Although a tad more expensive, Harris always produce really good quality paddock stands. Micron also produce well engineered stands at slightly lower prices than Harris. Don't go cheap.. you get what you pay for!l

I have, however, after the same exact question was posted only a few weeks ago, just bought an Abba stand which somebody else has already endorsed on this thread - it will lift front and back as located below the centre of the bike although care needs to be taken that the fittings that are inserted into the front end of the swing arm do not damage the surrounding paint. Got the Abba at the Ali Pali bike show for £85, Micron rear was from memory about £40-45 whilst expect to pay around £ 50-55 for a Harris, but if going this route you will probably need to budget for a front stand at around the same cost. Abba is a good bit of kit and will be cheaper than buying front & back stands, also needing less storage space (and no, I do not have a commercial interest in any of the above companies!)

Hope that helps...Richard.