View Single Post
Old 24-Nov-2006, 06:35

Hi Guys

I am new here but have raced 250 production etc for around 14 years.

Whilst i have very little road experience (and must admit, I struggle with confidence riding fast on the road) I can punt around a track alright.

Just looking at your photos, my first thought in both was that despite having reasonable lean your bum was still very much on the seat.

Often this is an indication of someone too rigid and nervous of moving thier weight around, this is one of the things racers are not afraid of. As i said, im not experienced enough on the road to say if this applicable for fast road riding or not....

If you have a look at most racers, intermediate track day riders and up, their bum is hanging more off the side (some amazingly so!). As you go faster, the more you slide your bum over and off the seat the more "solid" or planted you feel on the bike.

I recommend playing around with that, you don't have to be going way fast either, just get use to moving around on the bike more, as you play you'll see what unsettles the bike and what doesn't (in your movement).

Straight/bent arms then are only an issue when braking as you will always be moving from one side of the bike to the other as the respective corners come up.

Something else that really helps is video of your self, this can be very helpfull when trying to improve style and smoothness etc. What you feel and what it looks like can sometimes be quite different.

I hope i haven't come across smart ass, just one persons opinion/suggestions...

Regards

Mark