Thread: ST4S Mods
View Single Post
Old 16-May-2009, 19:43
Montjuic

I'd like to agree with some of the replies to this and add a bit more..

There's no way on earth that an ST should ever be described as "flighty over the ton". The opposite is the case in my experience - they are much more planted than many other machines. These are the last bikes on earth to need a steering damper.
I believe your ride height is wrong and as mentioned can easily be altered, but over playing with the 3 rear suspension settings can make a real dogs' breakfast of it. If not sure, then go back to manufacturers standard settings (printed in the owners manual) and slowly take it up from there.

The non-fango standard hard luggage will set a small weave up over 125 (due to aerodynamics - not weight), but they are only rated up to 80 anyway, so anything over that and it's on your own head.

I also find tyre pressures really critical on an ST & I think you should try harder settings. My minimum is 36 all round and often 38 F and up to 42 R if two up or riding boring motorways for large miles.

I've ridden VFR's and in comparison I nearly fell asleep with the dullness of them.
The ST will turn fairly slowly if only leaning to steer compared with using oppsite lock steering - then all complaints disappear.

Hope this gives you something to think about and play with.

All the best,
Mike Chadwick