View Single Post
Old 19-Apr-2009, 17:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS
I have had that conversation with an officer because I used to use a camper van at race meetings etc.
I think the Statutory Defence would come in to play in that situation.

I have no idea what tha statutory defence is but the answer is you will get done for it, without question.

A mate of mine is a mechanic. He was on a night out when a mate of his with a 911 asked him to help get his car started as he had broken down. So there is Dave working away between engine and drivers seat trying to get it started. Some passers by thought he was trying to steal it and they called the police. They turn up, and nick him. He was way over the limit and the courts have no option but to issue a ban. There is no way of pleading your way out of it. The fact that the car would not start and could not be driven was immaterial,pretty much. the only effect that had was that he got 12months ban when really he should have had a lot more given the amount of alcohol that was in his blood. So there he was a self employed mechanic who could not test drive cars.

He got his license back after 9 months as he did one of the alcohol awareness courses.

His mate gave him a very nice 1967 beetle to say sorry.

No idea how it works with campers but cant see it being any different. I believe the "key" thing is to make sure the keys are no where near your possesion when near the vehicle