View Single Post
Old 03-Jan-2007, 12:26
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Glad to be here
Jools, I agree with everything that you say. India and China are trying hard to play catch-up and no amount of political pressure is going to stop them. It needs the rest of the world to help them, econimocally and financially. And that is why I am convinced that we will not manage to turn this around. This planet has not been destroyed by mankinds greed, but by human nature. It will take more than a few well-intentioned individuals to make an effort. It needs the entire planet to adhere to a cohesive policy. If just a couple of countries refuse to cooperate, then human nature will kick in. "If they aren't going to play by the rules then why should we?". Individuals will not do what is needed. Governments need to legislate to force citizens to comply. Who is going to vote for a government that is going to lower their standard of living and give help to another country?
I think that we will all figure out what really needs to be done and be prepared to take the consequences when we really have no other choice, but I really do believe that by then it will be too late.
I think that wars are going to be fought over global warming. Coutnries will do what they have to to survive. Resources will run low and countries will take what they can from other countries, all in the name of survival.
You don't see any other animal on this planet thinking about it's species long-term future. They sleep, eat, reproduce and live and die. Did the last dodo think "damn, I'm the last one". I think our time is coming to an end, and it doesn't really matter whether it be by our own hand, or a giant meteorite hitting earth. The outcome will be the same.
Still, I don't let it get me down.