View Single Post
Old 12-Dec-2004, 14:06
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by chris.p
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy

OK, here's whe bit i get myself in trouble (again)

Do you really think it's acceptable for a bunch of blokes to turn up in the paddock all riding pieces of crap kicked together from breakers yards, no warmers/awnings/gennies/vans etc etc etc and go play out on track ??

Maybe 15 years ago this is how people raced Kev, it simply doesn't happen these days. Think of how professional the paddocks are these days when you go to a meeting.

Warmers are not just physical improvments, they are psychological too.....

This could turn into a slanging match, but heres my twopenneth,
Sorry Steve but I have to agree with kev, I started racing in 99, not so long ago, I rode a standard CBR400Gullarm, standard suspensionm just a dynokit & a open can, no trailer just my mum in the car with the kids & a toolbox, no wets, no warmers, & yes I rode the bike to the circuit (mallory) with the wife, bless her on the back, taped up the lights, disconected the brake lights & wired up the sidestand, one practice session, no warm up lap , average lap time was 59 seconds this was against other roadstock 400s, Positions 2nd & 4th, ie a simalar situation as the desmo due racing,( yes it was pre edwenas), so yes you can race competatevly on a budget without awnings, caravans, & all the trappings that can come with it, racing is seriouse but it is also fun, & that I think is what this series is about.
Chris.

[Edited on 12-12-2004 by chris.p]

Chris - I'm with you on this one (apart from the riding to the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If I do this, I'm gonna get a cheap 620 (so it can be competitive as standard) - get some ground clearance, set it up as best it can be with the original components (brake lines and pads aside) - then get out there.

I'm sure the organisers of this are watching this thread (and other similar ones) to see how it evolves before they add comment - but for me its about cheap, fun racing.

If I can't get a bike that's competitive and keep the costs down to around £2K a year (on top of the initial bike purchase price) then its a non-starter for me.

My calculations are simply based on how much I would gain personally from racing over just taking part in trackdays.

Mav makes a fair point about the impact on other areas of life and I need to consider the needs of others (family / work / responsibilites) above mine. This may be the "real" cost of the racing?

I don't/won't have the time to properly set up the bike, practice on it etc, etc - I'm sure there is a real buzz to be gained from racing - just reading many of Weeksy's comments makes this more than apparent.

But personally it needs to be gained in a sensible, safe, friendly, competitive, cheap environment.

I believe that this will then meet with the original intentions of the organisers.

Tim