View Single Post
Old 12-Dec-2004, 14:44
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Chris - I'm with you on this one (apart from the riding to the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If I do this, I'm gonna get a cheap 620 (so it can be competitive as standard) - get some ground clearance, set it up as best it can be with the original components (brake lines and pads aside) - then get out there.

I'm sure the organisers of this are watching this thread (and other similar ones) to see how it evolves before they add comment - but for me its about cheap, fun racing.

If I can't get a bike that's competitive and keep the costs down to around £2K a year (on top of the initial bike purchase price) then its a non-starter for me.

My calculations are simply based on how much I would gain personally from racing over just taking part in trackdays.

Mav makes a fair point about the impact on other areas of life and I need to consider the needs of others (family / work / responsibilites) above mine. This may be the "real" cost of the racing?

I don't/won't have the time to properly set up the bike, practice on it etc, etc - I'm sure there is a real buzz to be gained from racing - just reading many of Weeksy's comments makes this more than apparent.

But personally it needs to be gained in a sensible, safe, friendly, competitive, cheap environment.

I believe that this will then meet with the original intentions of the organisers.

Tim

Tim, just a thought mate but why don't you set out your £2k budget with what you need, tyres et al (it's all been listed above) and just manage it. If you are going to go over it perhaps skip a round to keep it down (and give the rest of us a chance to catch up in the points :P )

Like you I'm going to do the minimum to the bike to get it out on the grid, ground clearance, belly pan, lockwire and brake setup aside (we need to change the lines for ACU regs). Having said that I may get a 620 depending on finances etc early next year. This does mean that, at this stage, I won't be running the 996 with DP which I had hoped to do. But, I have pledged my support to Desmo Due so that is my first priority at the moment.

So I'm still not sure about what to do with the 996 because of all the cleaning I've just done I don't really want to ride it in winter. I've just got last winter off the bloody thing. But I bought it to ride it and if I'm mainly using the 600/620 for TD's and racing there's not much point in having a 996 on a SORN really. Like you I'm struggling to justify having three bikes at the moment so it looks like the KTM supermoto idea is out the window (bugger).

I realise the above is a bit of a ramble, just sharing my thoughts really. Hopefully it will benefit someone.

Fair comments Tony - a £2K managed budget seems reasonable to me.

My intention with this post was to establish whether this was realistic. It appeared from the earlier posts that it may not be, but my thinking is now that it can be.

As far as your quote -
Quote:
So I'm still not sure about what to do with the 996 because of all the cleaning I've just done I don't really want to ride it in winter.
- you can clean her more than once you know!!!!!

Keep the 996 - you'd regret it otherwise.
Tim