View Single Post
Old 22-Nov-2006, 16:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgbob44

I actually like the 749/999 bikes but prefer the 916 series and in all honesty love to wind people up about there "ugly" bikes, but, the whole matter is subjective to each individual.

Quote from todays MCN

" From the moment the 999 hit the dealers in 2002 opinion was divided over the styling, with many Ducatisti shunning the new design"

Where better to gauge the opinion of the Ducatisti than websites such as this, so if people dont believe what they are writing why write it and create a false impression?

Sometimes I cant believe what is written a bout the 999/749 looks in the press. Its a long way from what I experience when out on the bike.

IMHO the 999 got a real raw deal form the press and they probably know it and will be trying to make up for it with the 1098 reviews.

I could spend all day picking holes in the 1098 review in MCN but will just leave you with one example.

page 33 at the bottom. "Once again Ducati has a track focussed machine that will make a fantastic road bike"

Kind of suggests they havent had one since the 916 doesnt it?

But then on page 34.......The 999's basic frame and chassis design was retained, as the handling was one area where the 999 succeeded"

Draw your own conclusions, but factor in that the 999 was the most pwerful litre twin before the 1098 came along and you basically come back to the fact that some people just didnt like the look......are most bikers really that Lawrence LLewlyn Bowen?

Last edited by 749er : 23-Nov-2006 at 12:58.