Old 31-Aug-2011, 11:47
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manga
They said after speaking with a Ducati dealership, the early models used steel pressure plates which will wear the basket down - a design fault later cured by a redesign with aluminium plates.
Does this sound right?

Kind of, but it's only half the story...

It depends on what your basket is made of! Ideally you want the basket and drive plates to be made of the same material so that they wear at the same rate.

As aluminium is softer than steel, having a steel basket and aluminium plates will mean that the alu plates wear quicker than the steel basket. Similarly, having steel plates and an aluminium basket means that the alu basket will wear quicker than the plates.

The rule of thumb says that if you have an aluminium basket, stick with aluminium drive plates. If you have a steel basket, stick with steel drive plates.

It won't stop the clutch drive plates wearing any less quickly (ie, the thickness of the drive plates and the overall clutch stack height) but it will help to reduce the wear of the plate and basket interface.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!