View Single Post
Old 07-May-2009, 13:11
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
An interesting series of posts!

Now as one of the other remaining original founders of the Club. I am in part in a similar position to Monty.

Apart from the general admin part of the Club that I do because I am currently Treasurer and Club Secretary, which probably takes about 7-10 hours per week, together with the work that has to go into Desmo Due helping Gordon out with running that.

Several times I have been asked why I dont run a region, attend rideouts all over the Country, etc. I think the short answer is three things:

1) Time or more partuclarly lack of it. I have activities outside of the Club that I/the family enjoy which often have a higher priority.

2) I have done my time running local regional activities after 20 years of it, giving up about 7 years ago.

3) These days I am not prepared to ride as fast as I might have done 10 years ago and quite frankly no longer enjoy riding in groups.

Now like John, I help out with the trackday, doing the initial admin and plan on being at Cadwell to help with the admin there and hopefully get out for a few sessions. Now that means two days off work and the admin comes 1st, that has to be negotiated with "she who is sometimes listened too", because quite frankly she sees it as a waste of two days vaccation time.

Much has been made on other forums of the time and effort that I put into organising the UK end of the Moto Giro d'Italia and Septembers Mini Giro.

Well we spent a happy day yesterday loading 40+ motor cycles onto the truck for next weeks event in Italy. In two weeks time we will be spending another day unloading the truck! Given the logistics of getting bikes out to Italy, especially 50 year old small capacity ones, the only way in which we can do it ecenomically is by getting together as a group of like minded individuals and doing bulk transport. The DSC is an ideal vehicle for the people who enjoy these or other events to come together

This years Mini Giro is still being worked on and cannot yet be announced until we have more confirmation in writing from various parties. But I am looking at 3 complete weekends of solid work just to sort out the routes, apply for the necessary permissions and anything else that needs doing in June alone.

Why do we do it, simple there is nothing better than people coming up and saying I have had a great time, can I come next year.

There is however a great difference between that sort of scenario where you are offering to do an event because you want to and one where you are expected to put all of the effort in to organise something and then people on a whim decide to turn up or not on the day. We all have to put effort into our social activities, with our friends and families; what is the difference with Club?

I cant remember the exact quote from John Kennedy, but I think it went something like this:

"Dont ask what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country!"

Substitute Club for Country and you probably have it.

If you put nothing in, what do you expect to get out?