View Single Post
Old 14-Jan-2009, 23:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
It ISNT modified......not in any way, how many more times Kev? And who are you or anyone else to determine someones right to do something within the rules that costs anything if they so choose? If someone wants to spend the money to make sure the engine is as well put together as it can be why cant they? It doesnt say ANYWHERE in the rules that there is a ceiling or a limit on what may/may not be spent on any one area of the bike build? if someone wants to spend £500 on a Nitron shock would you tell them it goes agains the spirit of DD ? Why not have a set of rules that says you can do NOTHING to a Class B bike save remove lights, stand etc, if you really are on a crusade to save other people's money for them? What happened to freedom of choice WITHIN THE RULES?

I'm obviosly missing something here

The rules clearly state that the Crankshft can not be modified and also state it must remain as originally produced by Ducati,

It does not say as designed by Ducati

If your Crankshaft has not been modified during the balancing procedure it is within the rules, if it has been machined (modified) to balance it then it is in breach of the rules.

I have no problem with people doing anything within the rules and don't care how much they pay to have it done providing they then don't bitch about the cost of racing.
But with the rules as they are which includes phrases such as No modification or must remain as originally produced by Ducati, there is only so much that can be done and that in itself helps stop costs spiralling out of control to the sort of levels seen in SoT racing.

Having a crankshaft machined to balance it is Modifying it to improve its performance, otherwise why would anybody bother or is what the Ducati Factory put out just cr4p

I agree balancing alone gives no real noticeable power or acceleration increase so why bother spending the money, breaking the rules and having it done. Over the years many have abided by these rules so why would we need to change them now

The point is the rules on crankshafts say No Modifications, yet you have your own interpretaion of the wording taking it to mean altering the balance of the crankshaft to meet a better spec than that delivered by Ducati.

Now if the rule included wording like that it would be taken by some as anything goes.
Finding suitable wording to allow a crankshaft to be balanced to a tighter factory toleance should't be to hard, but then it comes back to how to distinguish the difference between a crankshaft as supplied by the factory, one modified to balance it to meet a tighter factory tolerance and one that has been modified to give improved engine performance, without having to resort to full engine strips and crank removal for weighing something I would rather not see.

I started this post to gather views on what may well be a gray area as covered by the 3rd post on page 1.

and as this years rule book was ammended to try and clarify some issues and cut out gray areas this maybe one issue that slipped through the net.
I have said before if a rule can not be policed it has no value so either needs ammending or throwing out.

Now if a technical inspector could not tell if a crankshaft has been balanced by looking at it then the rule as it stands has little value.

This wasn't meant as a personal attack its just that your post stating that you had got your Crank balanced showed it was a subject that needs debating and a conclusion arrived at and I tend to gather as much information as possible to arrive at my own conclusions.
The thing is all evidence could point to leaving the rules as they are and altering a crankshaft to balance it be classed as a modification and deemed to be breaking the rules.
On the other hand it could point to the fact that unless someone states there crank is balanced by means of modifying it a technical inspector would never be able to tell (as weighing would only show a lightened crank) then the rule may have to be ammended.

My view is that if by looking at a crank you can tell it has been altered/modified even if only for balancing reasons then the current rules are good enough for policing the series, but if you cant tell by looking then ammend the rule.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook