View Single Post
Old 23-Jun-2005, 18:53
Mille

Mood: Black Magic 999!
Thanks Andy!

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowisfriedegg
£699 is about the same as you would be for a Termi assymetric race silencer , carbon cover , front pipe with no cat and carbon leg guard and a pair of hi-flow air filters to make it work properly , this is what I have on my 749R and it runs sweet as you like

The cat in the standard front pipe is approximately 3" long , it is a corrugated / swirling series of fine sheets and IS quite restrictive , I think the cat in the nearside (short pipe) entry to the standard silencer is exactly the same , the outlets from the standard silencer are identical.

The race silencer has two different size inlets but the perforated sleeves inside the silencer box are identical , as are the outlets , which are quite a bit bigger than the outlets in the standard box.

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I can't see any benefit to the mesh thing on the underside of your silencer , it just looks like a dirt trap and extra weight , what's the point of fitting a light weight end can and then fitting an "extra" bit to it ?

As an aside , a S/H Termi system / part / whatever will always have a value , a bike fitted with the same will also be a more desirable S/H purchase , I doubt the same can be said of your pipe , I may be wrong but you can let us know 1 day maybe ?

[Edited on 23-6-2005 by yellowisfriedegg]

Right, lets see:

1. Price for Termi's:

Termi can = £581.39
Front cylinder link pipe (no cat) = £120.75
Nuts, bolts and seals = £13.87
Fitting plug for can = £64.40
Carbon heat guard = £192.30
Racing air filters = £67.08

I reckon that equals - £1039.79, now maths may not be my strong suit but I'm sure that is a fair bit more than the £699 I paid for my pipe!

2. Don't disagree with you about standard pipes but we were not talking about standard! I don't think I mentioned how the restriction in the Termi's worked did I?

3. The "mesh thing"

it weighs nothing and is there to house the pipe work to the rear electrics. Even if it is just asthetic then I'm ok with that!

4. "Resale value"!

It would be my intention to return the bike to standard should I want to sell it (as I have done with my other bikes) so the bikes resale value will not be affected. You say that a Termi system will always have a value but intimate that any other system wouldn't - I expect people who choose Akrapovich, Micron, Arrows etc would disagree with you there. Besides, I have already saved £340.79 from not buying the Termi system so in three years time do you think the Termi will be worth more than £350 second hand? If not then you lose out anyway!

If you have bought into the Termi badge and can't see past it that there are better made and better value for money items in the marketplace then that is your prerogative I suppose. As for me, I wanted a system that does the job I wanted for the money I wanted to spend, and thats what I got.