View Single Post
Old 30-Oct-2006, 12:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke2BSteve
Well Hayden is the world champion, he's just not an awesome rider or race winner...

What a load of old shoddy. Nobody gets to ride a MotoGP bike unless they're an awesome rider, and the guy has won races at the top level...fact!

I'm not a particular Hayden fan but there seem to be an awful lot of 'sour grapes' armchair expert Rossi fans having a right old whinge at the moment. You don't get to be world champion at anything in this world if you have zero talent. OK, the guy might not set the world on fire but he's done enough to be in the hunt all season and put himself in a position where he has been able to claim the title - respect has got to be due for that.

All the guy seems to get is mean spirited criticism.

Emotion? Sure I can understand that. Seems to me that if you had spent your life chasing a dream you would be pretty emotional about it as well. He's worked hard for it, his family have scrimped and saved on his behalf and he probably has a flood of gratitude for all the people who helped him get there.

I MC'd the DSC Dinner Dance at the weekend, and I had a big lump in my throat and a crack in my voice just announcing that one of my best friends, Pete Ford, had won the Paul Morton award. Never mind making a speech as a newly crowned world champion - how emotional would you feel and would you be able to string more than two words together?

As far as I'm concerned it was the right result all round yesterday. I had my fingers crossed for Troy all race long - brilliant ride and a fitting reward for a great rider.

As TP said, Rossi's bad luck was all his own making yesterday, an unforced error early in the race. I don't think it was anywhere near the bad luck that Hayden suffered at Pedrosa's hands so in my view everyone has been dealt the same hand.

I'll probably get lynched for this but I'll come right out and say it. I don't like Rossi. Or to put it more accurately, I have nothing against Rossi per se and I do believe he is by far the best rider out there. What I can't stand is all the bum licking, sycophantic 'Rossi is God' hype that the media and his fans peddle. To listen to most commentators and read the press, Rossi can do no wrong. Let's have a small side bet shall we? When MCN comes out on Wednesday I bet all the headline stories will be about Rossi losing the title rather than Hayden winning it.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^