View Single Post
Old 27-Apr-2009, 22:08
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Mine was a crack running vertically through both the lugs on one side of the bike where the subframe attaches to the frame, which was spotted at a service. In view of the age of the bike (about 5 years) I didn't bother trying to get Ducati UK involved and started asking around about my options. Even if DUK would have agreed to a new frame no doubt the cost of stripping and rebuilding the bike would have fallen on me. Someone (might have been KeefyB, or might have been someone at my local independent garage, advised me to find someone who could MIG weld; the logic being that MIG welding was the most technically demanding, so the welder would, by definition, be up to the task. Fortunately, discovered that one of the girls at work is married to a MIG welder who agreed to fix it for me. In preparation for his visit I disconnected EVERYTHING electrical which made him laugh, said he would only have disconnected the battery, he then put a clamp on the frame which presumably earths it and proceded to do an extremely neat repair. I was prepared for a major cosmetic disaster but he took great care to use the minimum amount of heat and afterwards I just needed to touch up the weld - the surrounding paint was intact. All in all a top job -- and all for a case of beer. Hope you get yours sorted.