View Single Post
Old 05-Jul-2003, 10:07
Mille

I am not an expert but, to adjust the ride hieght on a74*/916/99* there is a ride height adjuster (the alloy rod on the gear lever side that runs to the rocker that the shock attatches to at the top) this sets the ride height , set it too high and the rear end loses grip when accelerating hard, set it to low and the bike turns like a bus.

Preload sets the amount of of sag the spring has when unladen and with a rider on the bike (increasing preload will raise the back of the bike but the shock will run at the upper end of its travel and will top out, decreassing preload will lower the ride height but the shock will bottom out.

to set the ride height first set your static(unladen) and laden sag with the preload rings. I do not have the reccomended settings to hand they must have been posted on the old board try a search. only then try adjusting the ride height.

be very carefull setting the ride height maybe half a turn at a time on the adjuster rod and note the original settings if you get it wrong it can be very iffy.

the other adjustment that may benifit you is to soften the compresion and rebound damping, my 998 handles a lot better since it was set up and although the ride heightwas raised the damping was backed off. Result turns in fast and great feel at both ends.

dave