View Single Post
Old 15-Jun-2005, 22:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I am really, really, really glad that you are going the distance with this bike.

I can't help with any of the parts because I couldn't even aspire to SPS ownership, but my view is that anybody who buys a bike like this isn't really the owner, just the custodian of a super rare piece of Ducati history with a responsibility to do their utmost to keep it for posterity.

This doesn't mean "don't use it for the purpose that it was designed", I'm all for that! My Uncle has always been into vintage cars, I've been to several vintage racing event's with him as a kid and I've always admired people who have owned precious objects like a vintage "Birdcage" Maserati and are still ragging the arse off them round Silverstone.

However, they've also got the attitude that if they bend it they'll mend it- on the grounds that with things like these, which are made from unobtainium, any time that one of these things is "written off" it's not just a loss to the owner, but the entire community of enthusiasts.

Since there are so few 888 SPS's in existance it would be a crying shame to lose one...like the last Spitfire

[Edited on 15-6-2005 by Jools]