View Single Post
Old 09-Jun-2005, 22:35
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Get geometry, spring, preload and sag sorted and the adjustors aren't so critcal. As has already been said a little knowldege can be dangerous so learn the basics of geometry and springs first, to do so might involve a trip to a suspension tuner but try and take note, if you are not sure ask and dont be scared to ask again until you do understand. Road setups are tricky and occasionally it might mean you have a setting which technically isn't correct but the rider feels comfortable with it and unless they are prepared to adapt their riding style might be best for them, and then gradually move towards a better setup.

I like playing with suspension but I'm fortunate in that my job involves a lot of work with mountain bike forks and rear shocks so have had 7 years of pretty technical experience to use.

I'm moving away from the section8 settings now, tried them and i'm going to more rear sag (35 - 37mm) to improve feel at rear but running about 288 on the ride height, moving forks back to 3 lines showing as well. front felt floppy under power as though head angle was too shallow which is weird in the current setup and the opposite of how it should be. Also now got 3 springs to mess with, 64, 70 and 75 so can run varying preload /sag to see which i prefer, 64 with more preload is my favourite at the mo but my riding is all road, involves different surfaces and conditions and i'm not pushing hard. A track setting for me would be vastly different.

DCR your bike was as it left the factory, no preload 50mm of rear sag and no alteration to geometry. All i did was correct those things and put it into a mid point on everything then added a little bit of adjustment to balance front and rear. you can tweak it over time to a more personal feel. Once you get your new tyres it'll need adjusting, the grip and profile will make a difference to the feel now even more so because rear was getting square edges after the m way hacking.

Does anyone have a dwg file of the chassis/fork on the 999 or 749?? i'd like to stick it in computer and work out angle changes before i alter things.