Thread: 1973 750 SS
View Single Post
Old 12-Mar-2004, 23:05
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
1973 750 SS

Hi As a member of this club I hope you don't mind me picking your brains but I thought you may be able to settle an argument, One of the guys on our W650 group has made the following statement.
Kevin, this can't be a '73 750SS I don't think...They only made 20 and they were the factory homologised versions of the '72 Imola winner. http://home.planet.nl/~motors-20th-century/page_CD.htm

It may be a GT, which was a non Desmo (pushrod) roadster version...a very tasty bike, or it could be a 750 sport or 'S', which was a clip=ons and rear-sets Desmodromic cafe racer....exotic and somewhat fragile.All the Dukes of that era are framed by Harris in effect (they designed the Imola chassis which became the generic frame....so they handle incredibly well, early ones had rather crab Scarab brakes, later ones had better Lockheeds. All have a fairly fragile big end assembly and need really good oil, and frequent changes...a perfect candidate for good synthetics!

They are exquisite if they are in good order, and a real treasure to own and enjoy..

Whats up with it?
What colour is it

By the way, if it IS an SS (with the tell tale claer stripe down the fibreglass tank as a visual fuel level indicator) it is worth about $30,000.....

Jon
However I can rember seeing a 750 SS in my local dealer in 1973 and I am sure they were road bikes. They were a sort of Blue/Silver with the clear stripe in the glass fibre tank to show the fuel level have you any knowledge of this model?
Any information would be appreciated