View Single Post
Old 03-Apr-2006, 00:05
Mille

Throttle blocked at full throttle - CRASH

Hi all,

2 weeks ago i suffered a crash with my 1995 916 biposto... while accelerating from a stand still to 1st, 2nd gear at maximum and then 3rd i noticed the bike was still accelerating although i returned the twist grip back to its normal position. I tried to unblock it, but finally i crashed on the right side, bike sliding for 50 meters while at full throttle till it finally stopped after 20 secs. The clutch was completely damaged, but the bike started at first key... throttle came to normal again....

since then i really don;t know what happend and why the throttle remained blocked at max. the first thing i thought was the cable being to loose. I replaced the cable and the twist grip assembley, but i'm still curious if this is really the problem. Checking on the net i found this:

Model: Ducati 916 Years: 1994-1995

Number Involved: 1,316
Dates of Manufacture: Not yet available
NHTSA Recall No.: 97V221
Vehicle Description: Motorcycles.
Description of Defect: The throttle control linkage pin was not lubricated properly.
Consequence of Defect: The engine throttle can bind and not return to proper idle.
Corrective Action: Dealers will lubricate the throttle control linkage pin using grease containing molybdenum disulphide.
Owner Notification: Owner notification schedule has not yet been provided.
Note: Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ducati at 1-973-839-2600.

Does anybody have any idea about this notification, is it real and what exactly does it reffer to?

Has anybody experienced this problem before?

Regards
Cipi