View Single Post
Old 19-Jan-2013, 00:10
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999, BSA A65 Lightning, Matchless G80s

Mood: Fed up with DIY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
You might still be able to order new pannier sets. I think they are the same as those used on the monsters too.
If not its good old ebay and keep an eye on the forums.

I had an ST4S ABS for 6 years, and there weren't many issues at all. The following are a few things to note though.

The ST4S shares the 996 engine, so can suffer from flaky rockers. That can get expensive - my repair bill for a set of rockers and a cam was close on £1k with labour.

It seems some bikes didn't have the head stock bears greased very well, so they get notchy. Not a big job to replace them, but something to look out for.

The rear brake can be pants, but a wavy disc, decent set of pads, and a good fluid bleed make it pretty good.

If the bike has been dropped the tank can leak. This is as a result of the rear bracket of the tank getting pulled and the weld splitting.

Asside from that a cracking bike. Wish I hadn't sold mine now :|

Thanks for the info John. Did Ducati use there own luggage design? I was hoping I might be able to pick up non Ducati but the same design, fit badges and spray the tops and hey presto I have Ducati Luggage :-)