View Single Post
Old 28-Dec-2005, 23:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
From what I understand, the 45 days would be a benefit of your individual policy giving you full cover whilst visiting a country in the EC. In addition, EC Directive 72/166/EEC requires motor insurance to cover minimum legal requirements of any EC member state, not just the UK.

So your UK policy has to automatically cover your civil liabilities for using the bike in Norway. That would be the equivalent of what we call Third Party Only in England.

The detail of where you're considered to be normally resident would, as you know, be determined by where you live for most of the year, but this shouldn't have any bearing on your UK insurance as long as you still have a UK address to register the bike to and you're still a British citizen. I was living and working in Ireland whilst still having a house in England where I paid council tax and kept my bikes, the insurance was unaffected and I was able to take a bike to Ireland for the summer based on minuimum legal cover. But I don't know if conditions of residency might be a requirement of YOUR insurance... something you'd have to check with Carol Nash.