Thread: Tyre Poll
View Single Post
Old 15-Dec-2004, 21:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Hmmmm-"But let's see what the powers-that-be come up with."-I guess that's me then.
Interesting list Weeksy-
"208's (standard)
Pirrelli Diablo
Michelin 012's
Avon AP49's(i think)
Metzeler MEZ4"
MEZ4?? that's a touring tyre isn't it??
Not a Bridgestone to be seen-any particular reason??
Bearing in mind that I am not competing, just one of the idiot's who chose to open this particular can of worms this is the thinking so far.

We were asked by New Era if we had considered a control tyre as they had a manufacturer (Bridgestone) who were keen to get involved with a series, and 'one make' fits the bill.
From my point of view a control tyre makes sense as it means that the biggest performance difference will be the rider, which should give us a level playing field and better racing. I would still prefer to have wets available since they DO make a difference when it's wet funnily enough-however you would be surprised how fast you can go on road legal tyres in the wet on a racetrack. Don't forget on track there are no diesel spills, manhole covers, overbanding etc so grip is fairly constant. I don't believe that you need warmers, especially as you will be using moulded tread road legal tyres, but if one uses them then everyone needs them. If we are going to start having a list of 'legal' tyres then it is just going to make policing this that much more difficult-what am I supposed to say-'sorry mate you can't race, you've got the wrong tyres on'...............?
Basically if we go control tyre it will be one type + possibly a wet unless the overall concensus is that you don't want a wet. As to whether we go Bridgestone-well Ducati are now using them in GP's for 2005 which gives us a nice synergy. If the vote says NO to Bridgestone but yes to control then I am prepared to approach another manufacturer but we may not get a deal, in which case you will end up with the restrictions of a control tyre without any of the advantages.

Here endeth the lesson-for a while at least I hope!

John