View Single Post
Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:08
Big Twin

George, the 749 is one hell of a bike by anyone's standards. You hear a lot of grumbling (still) from the 748/9xx camp, but it's mainly the asthetics that do not appeal. I never had one of the 748/9xx bikes, and having ridden Ruth's 996 back from Cadwell after Friday's track day I reckon I still prefer my 749 chassis for comfort. The pervious chassis is too cramped for my frame and after half an hour my knees were aching. Mind you, I was shattered fro the day's riding at that point. As far as the STs go, I liked the ST4s a lot, sometimes not sure why I traded it in. Now I think about it (again) I remember making a decision that as 99% of my riding was done on fast, twisty A and B roads around where I live (sth Lincs/Leics border), and just occassionally do some distances then I might as well go for the "sport" bias more that the tourer. In previous years when I was getting "back into the saddle" as it were, the sports/tourer was ideal for me because it could do anything. And in the case of the ST4s, I really mean ANYTHING. I have a huge amount of respect for that bike and if I went for a sports tourer again it would probably be that one, altohugh I would give the ST3 a punt as the DS motor is punchy. I've just done my first track day (every) and on the 749s at Cadwell. That's why my Avatar just got changed to the 749 with a white (as yet unpainted) race fairing to preserve the posh expensive road plastic. Fantastic experience, exactly the right tool for the job. The ST is just as capable on a track, as are monsters and numtpystradas (sorry, couldn't resist, I actually like riding the multistrada too having tried one for a day), but a full on sports bike is in it's element when on the track. It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts. I loved it at Cawell (after I got over the culture shock), learnt a lot about the bike and about how I ride, and tomorrow I'm off to book my next track day.

Hi Derek, nothing wrong with an ST4s. You said yourself it has a hell of a "stomp". I'd be ineterested to know how you get on with the ABS in the "real world". Should be good if it has a "sport" bias to it rather than playing it too "safe"?

Henry