Thread: Tyre Pressures
View Single Post
Old 17-Dec-2009, 13:58
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Question Tyre Pressures

having read the recent thread on the Michelin power !s, and the pressures being quoted, this got me thinking.

I pretty much always run 38/42 on all my bikes, regardless of tyre brand or model, and also regardless of solo, with luggage, or fully loaded and 2 up. I can tell the difference in handling when either tyre is down by more than a couple of degrees (slower steering, tracking in bends, rear rolling under power).
It therefore seemed somewhat odd to hear some of you guys saying to run pressures as low as 22.5 (cold).

I'm not questioning your decisions, or indeed the advice given by experts to do this, just wondering if I'm missing a trick, or am I just too stupid to notice (don't answer that last bit )

So. In simple terms, what do you notice by running such lower pressures ?
e.g.
better more stable braking ?
less tyre wear ?
less rubber migration across the tread pattern ?
tyre lasts longer (doesn't get too hot and go off) in a session ?

I doubt I could ride any faster / better at different pressures, and I'm not asking for that reason. I'm asking as much as anything to learn, because I don't see the benefit. I always seem to wear tyres out quickly too, and the fitters reckon they look to be under inflated, not over inflated.

Eagerly awaiting your collective wisdom

Cheers,
John.