View Single Post
Old 09-Jun-2012, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996VINCE
Riding back home after attending the Royal Wootton Bassett Ride of Respect, the 996 suddenly lost all power and died; thought of past problems with the ignition/fuel pump relay so tried swapping the spare I carry, to no avail.
Had to get a friend to rescue me with his trailer, and tried replacing all the relays and fuses, but nothing.
Thought of the dreaded ecu faults, hope not!! (Also, the fuel pump does not pressurise when the ignition is switched on and the starter button is dead)
Any thoughts would be very welcome, cheers.

Best thing to do is swap your ecu over with one that is working.That will immediatly tell you if its a computer problem.If the bike runs with another computer in it then try swapping the eprom. If the bike does not start again then the eprom chip has problems and its not the computer. There are dioades in the p8 and 1.6 ecu that get affected by heat transfere from the pipes. The one to test on the board is a ca3262a.(inverting power driver). Costs about 50 cents. A bit cheaper than a new computer eh. good luck.
ned. (996 SPS that cost me a lot of time to figure out the same problem that you have had .)
ps. If you r stuck on the roadside and the relay under the seat that runs the fuel pump will not fire up you can hot wire between 2 circuits at the feed in end on your computer using a piece of wire. Fuel pump will fire up and home u go ! if you want more details on this let me know. Very easy to do.
ned.