View Single Post
Old 31-Aug-2006, 23:49
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Thumbs up Great News

TROY BAYLISS SIGNS WITH DUCATI FOR A FURTHER TWO YEARS

Troy Bayliss has brought an end to all speculation about his racing future by re-signing for the Ducati Xerox Team. The Australian will now lead Ducati's attack on the World Superbike Championship throughout the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

The 37-year-old former World Superbike champion, currently leading this year's standings, has agreed terms for a two-year extension to his contract with Ducati Corse where he will remain until the end of 2008.

Troy Bayliss (Ducati Xerox Team rider)
"I've thought long and hard about it because it's a big decision to do a couple more years. But honestly I still love riding the bike, I'm in a good position in this year's championship, I've got a great team around me and it's still not time to stop. I would also like to beat Fogarty's record of race wins so all this will keep me occupied for a while! The fact that I came back from MotoGP and am winning races again has also been a major factor in my decision. Basically I'm happy where I am and have no inclination to go anywhere else."

Claudio Domenicali (Ducati Corse Managing Director and Ducati Motor Director of Product Development)
"We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Troy for the next two years. Regarding Ducati's participation in World Superbike, this will allow us to look to the future with confidence as Troy will be involved in all future development and testing work. The confirmation of Troy underlines the renewed commitment of Ducati in Superbike, a championship that we consider to be important and strategic for the continuous improvement of our road-going products."

Bayliss, who was catapulted onto the world scene by Ducati Corse in 2000 when he stepped in as replacement for Carl Fogarty following the Ducati legend's career-ending injury, made an immediate impact in World Superbikes, winning two races in his first year and taking the championship in 2001. After just missing out on a second crown in 2002, Bayliss then stepped up to MotoGP with the Ducati Desmosedici. A superb first season was followed by a difficult 2004 and then after switching to a rival manufacturer for his final season in MotoGP, Bayliss returned to World Superbikes with the Ducati Xerox Team in 2006 at the age of 37. This year Troy has produced a series of outstanding performances, taking nine wins on the factory 999F06 machine, and he currently has a lead of 77 points with four rounds and eight races remaining.