Thread: 749 Handling
View Single Post
Old 17-Sep-2003, 12:04
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Too many variables to guess at really Webby.

Not suprised that the back stepped out on you at Mallory, that happened to me with every hamfisted twist of the throttle or clumsy gear change, the conditions really went from greasy to ice rink didn't they?

I wasn't at Rockingham, but it could've been cold tyres, or a bit of slippery track on the line you were on, could've been that you started to spin the back wheel and snapped the throttle shut when it started to step out, causing it to dig in and ping you off, could've been a fuelling glitch giving you a sudden unwanted burst of power that did the same thing as above.

Or it could've been a combination of all the above or something that I haven't even thought of.

I don't like highsides. I've had loads, though thankfully they've all been on dirt bikes where the landing has been softer and the worst I've done is dislocated a shoulder.

When the back steps out on me now I try and use a bit of this offroading experience to fight my 'snap the throttle shut' survival instints. My thinking is that if the back steps out and you do back off quick it's highside city, if you keep the throttle where it is you still have fighting chance that it'll sort itself out, but at worst it'll lowside which might (though not guaranteed) be less painful.

Hark at me, sound like a patronising prat don't I. That's the theory anyway. I managed to put it into practise a few times at Mallory, albeit at lowish speeds, But I really hope the day never comes when I find myself low flying at 80mph, 6 ft in the air, going "Ohhhhhh shhhhheeeeeiiiiiit"