Thread: Bmw M5
View Single Post
Old 02-Jan-2007, 09:00
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Smile M5 experience

Hi There,

I ran an E39 M5 from new in August 1999 until October 2005 covering about 60,000 miles. I am pretty good at coaxing good fuel figures and got 18mpg around town, 25-28mpg on a careful run.
Servicing was coming up around every 12-14K with costs averaging around £300 for an Oil Service, £500 for an inspection. Do not risk using a back street garage unless you know their integrity is 110%.
From new these cars suffered from "assembly" faults like most of the other BMs I've had: whining diff, whining gearbox, very stiff selector. All done under warranty and no reoccurences. Things to check:
Must have FDSH - if you have to have (say) a cylinder head, it's £5K. A short motor £25K. Walk away if any oil leaks or traces on motor. Get the owner to state the oil consumption, some of these cars drank a pint in 200 miles. Mine did 1500 miles per pint. All the gadgets must work or repair costs will be high. I sold mine when the annual warranty extension got to £1K per year at 6 years old.
On the plus side, out of 3 M5s I had, the E39 was the best. Ace motor, good handling, and a cruiser when you want it to be. Well looked after Ms do incredible mileages without trouble. And it looks like a 520 to the unknowing!
Hope this helps. If you've any further questions please ask.

Cheers,

Norm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e39m5engine&nkb.jpg (125.3 KB, 38 views)