View Single Post
Old 09-Mar-2011, 09:05
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Machining the crank case mouths are probably the biggest job and for reliability upgrading to Pankal rods would probably be the way to go. 955 Kits aren't that cheap, Jim at Bike Enders has a new kit for sale at £750 I think and uses the 20mm Gudgeon/wrist pin.

I'd agree with this, having seen others struggle to get a '955' engine properly sorted out.

There were (the last time I'd looked) two 'SP' cranks with Pankl rods on Flea'bay, as well as a couple of 'kits' (BikeEnders being one fo them).

Unless you're able to do all the machining and engine build work yourself though, I'd think that there's be a not so insignificant 'wedge' of cash requried for the labour costs (and that's not even using a Ducati dealer!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Upgrading to a 996 Bip motor and selling the 916 engine on after swaping the Clutch over may be the way to go

This'd be the most likely route, easier to source (complete), easier for spares and (most probably) easier with insurance, etc.

The 955 motor has certain cache, but there's nothing to be sniffed at with a 996 enigine, eh?