Thread: 2003 749
View Single Post
Old 04-Apr-2005, 09:48
Big Twin

Hi, I went from ST4s (996 motor) to a 749s (Oct 2003) for road/town riding. I can't remember which oil cooler is the one you don't want, but a call to your dealer can confirm which is it. You will find the name written along the top of the cooler if you take the fairing side off. There was a "small risk" of an oil leak that would end up on the rear wheel. It can be done on service though if you have one coming up, not a big deal. If it has been dealer serviced then they should have done the recall checks and if not then they should be taken to task (IMHO). There was also a risk of a cable being trapped in the forks when turned to full lock, so if you look down the right hand side of the forks if you can see a P clip attached to the fork and holding the cable in position then that is done.

I love the 749s for road riding, very responsive and nimble. I put a termi can on it after a year and that woke it up a bit (as well as the neighbours but what the heck!). I recently took it on track for the first time and will be doing that a lot more having got hooked on the adrenalin rush, so I note the advice above of a 41T rear sprocket and might give that a go. I don't really feel I am missing anything on the road though, it's plenty quick enough.