View Single Post
Old 17-Oct-2004, 22:21
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
748 first impressions

well, i picked my 748 up yesterday and shes a stunning bike to look at, just what i always wanted, a real race bike. she's got the single seat,carbon termi's, ohlins rear shock , ohlins damper and loads of little carbon bits. the riding position is better than the r6 as even after a 250mile ride home i didnt get aching wrist which i would have on the r6, i did find that my fete were going slight ly numb through the vibrations and lack of use whilst trundling homeward bound along the a303.

the bike feels a lot heavier than what im used too and i can notice it when cornering especially on roundabouts, it just feels a bit heavy and harder to turn, i was expecting the bike to just flop onto its side and away you go, knee dragging and all that, hopefully practice makes perfect as im going to need to corner alot faster than my mates just to keep up

well it was my first time on a v-twin,the looks are stunning but im a little bit disapointed with the performance of the bike.maybe im being a bit harsh on her but i think i may have been expecting too much of her but its not as exciting as i was hoping. my old r6 was a hell of a lot quicker, top and bottom end and i'd say that my rvf400 is as quick as my 748. i was really having to work the bike to get the speedo up and into double figures, i know its not big and its not clever but i had to see what the top speed was like and it stuggled to pass 130 and that was downhill !!!!

people say to ride in a higher gear but today i was finding i needed to be in a lower gear than i would have done on the r6, the accelaration that people talk about isnt that special , theres a lot noise but not that much go . . . .

this bike has been a dream of mine for many years and im sure she'll be fine,maybe im riding her differently to how she's supposed to be ridden, i dont know.

im in love with the bikes looks just a touch disappointed to start with, with time i imagine it will all turn out just fine, fingers crossed . . .

any riding advice welcome,please help me to understand how to ride her properly and what to do to make the most of a stunning machine