Thread: 620 big bore?
View Single Post
Old 02-May-2005, 14:34
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
I'm with you Butch, there was a gentlemans agreement to keep things as even as possible and leave the 620 on standard bore.

The 583's were a little bit slower, but nothing too significant. I was just about able to reel in Andy (Team CK&AK) down the straight, but not by much, and Phil (583 big bored) was losing a few meters on me down there too but was able to keep on my tail for the whole of both races because he seemed to be the better rider.

I think the 620 bb's would be bad for the series, but at the end of it all we'll know who the trophies SHOULD have been going to, so if someone want to throw a shed load of money into boring a 620 then let them, but their victories will be hollow.

Excellent post Nick, and a pretty fair assessment of the power differences between the 674 carby big bore and the 620's. I have to tell you though, that the difference is more than a few metres. From a spectators point of view the difference is very clear, just on the short start/finish straight the 620's would stretch around 3 bike lengths over the carbed bikes. On circuits like Cadwell woodlands where there are more twists than straight bits the difference is not so marked, but get on a 'faster' circuit and the 620's will rule the roost.

So, sorry Butch, but it's not the even stevens match between the big bore and 620. I know that I am not alone in this view, that was the general agreement of everyone I was spectating with.

Of course rider skill has a large part to play, that's why CK & AK's team getting a 6th place with a standard carby 583 against the 'works' teams was such a good thing to watch.

There are a couple of people I know who are both potential entrants for next year, both of them said that the series wouldn't be worth doing unless you were on a 620, and now it seems you'll need a 680 to be really competitive, otherwise you'll just be running in the middle of the pack however good you are.

That's racing. People will always push the limits. Unfortunately, the people with the money and the dealer backing will ratchet this competitive edge up and I think you'll see a widening gap between these boys and the 'privateers' as the season develops.