Old 05-Jul-2012, 11:11
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth
You may well have convinced me to go for the STM!

To compare the two, the ramp & bearing type I had was very harsh - it used to pulse through the clutch lever and also had a definite "click" when you engaged the clutch through the lever. Maybe the basket was a bit worn (and that click was the plates breaking free of notches in the basket) but I did dress the basket to get rid of the worst of the notches and it didn't go away.

We fiddled with the clutch pack, stack height and the dished plate to try and get rid of this but with no luck. It also used to screech as well and we tried to get rid of this as well but the screeching would only go for a couple of days at most and then it would come back.

The STM I have now came up cheap on the site so I bought that and swapped it over, and the difference was amazing! You hardly notice that there is a slipper clutch in and if anything it makes the clutch action lighter than standard.
The action is a lot smoother than the ramp and bearing type.
I've done plenty of trackdays on the 748 (which is all it gets used for now) and it gets plenty of abuse and hasn't missed a beat.

When looking for a slipper for the Hyper I wouldn't consider anything other than the STM Evo 48t model. They are expensive, but they work and work well.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!